Astro-Theological Interlude

Daniel V.
Admin

Astro-Theological Interlude

Post by Daniel V. »

In 1875 a book was published, 'The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors'. The author, Kersey Graves, summarized his intent:

"I desire to impress upon the minds of my clerical brethren the important fact, that the gospel histories of Christ were written by men who had formerly been Jews (see Acts xxi. 20), and probably possessing the strong proclivity to imitate and borrow which their bible shows was characteristic of that nation ; and being written many years after Christ's death, according to that standard Christian author, Dr. Lardner, it was impossible, under such circumstances, for them to separate (if they had desired to) the real facts and events of his life from the innumerable fictions and fables then afloat everywhere relative to the heathen Gods who had pre-enacted a similar history. Two reasons are thus furnished for their constructing a history of Christ almost identical with that of other Gods." ( source )

One hundred forty-five years later, I wonder how impressed the minds of the 'clerical brethren' were by this information that basically stated there was very little 'divine' about their chosen beliefs, that it was more bookkeeping of a different sort. But Christianity and many of the theatrical accoutrements of other religions still exist and that makes me wonder more as to how long before this particular spell dissipates. And what would it be replaced with?

I've always liked the idea that humankind might arrive at a 'Golden Age' somewhere up the road. That all that energy and beingness would be in recognition of the human self individually and collectively rather than being dependent on 'stories' that in turn depend on faith as essential to the plot. But maybe humankind will always need stories and myths as a kind of existential currency and when the story is no longer relevant then it finds another one. Maybe it's all an epigenetic passion play.

Or, maybe these stories are needed to learn what it would be like without stories? Or is that just a sly way of my criticizing the thorns for their interfering with my appreciation of the roses? Do the roses themselves care? I don't know, maybe some day we'll learn the psychology of botany. More importantly, someday we'll learn to live with our own story.

There are various videos on the above, this one is one of the simplest in description.